Boss Acres, Holmdel, NJ

Telegraph Hill Studio was located in a barn at 7 The Summit, Holmdel, NJ, which was one of Bruce Springsteen's homes from 1976-1982. Songwriting and rehearsals for Darkness On the Edge of Town and the River took place there, and footage of the E Street Band practicing was featured in the 2010 documentary “The Promise: The Making of Darkness on the Edge of Town.” The property address came from a cul-de-sac in a private community, but Telegraph Hill Road was the main drag the studio was named for.

A converted barn on his farmhouse property on Telegraph Hill Road in Holmdel, NJ. This barn, which Bruce had been using for band rehearsals since mid-1976, was nicknamed the "Telegraph Hill Studio", although in reality it was not a studio - there were no high level room acoustics or recording facilities. The 6,000-square foot 19th-century farmhouse, built in 1850, had a swimming pool and a 4-car heated garage. The neighbors said they could tell if the Boss was home if his 1960 Corvette was parked there. Nobody is sure who started calling his home, "Boss Acres" or "Thrill Hill", but Springsteen liked the name so much, he has called his home studios that ever since. He moved to Colts Neck, New Jersey in 1981 and dubbed the studio he built there Thrill Hill East, and when he bought an estate in in Rumson a few years later, he called the studio he built there the same name.


Springsteen did 0 performances, excl. rehearsals, at this venue.


Disclaimer | © 1996 - 2019 | Brucebase

icon_facebook.png icon_twitter.png icon_flickr.png icon_youtube.png icon_google_plus.png
Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License