Ellis Auditorium, Memphis, TN

The Ellis Auditorium (formerly "Memphis Auditorium and Market House", was constructed in 1924 for $3 million, seated 12,000 (approximately the same as The Mid-South Coliseum), and was located at 255 North Main Street, Memphis, Tennessee, USA. The moving force behind the auditorium was Robert R. Ellis and 6 years later, in 1930, the facility would be renamed for him. In 1950s Memphis, Blacks had a separate side entrance at the Auditorium and sat in a separate balcony, until segregation was outlawed by Congress in 1964. It hosted local sporting events and concerts, including Elvis Presley on February 6, 1955 for the first of many appearances. On July 4, 1956 for the benefit of local charities, Elvis performed and closed with "Hound Dog," an arrangement of a song they only recently picked up while performing in Las Vegas. Ellis Auditorium was finally demolished in 1997.

Source: Wikipedia


Springsteen did 3 performances, excl. rehearsals, at this venue.


Disclaimer | © 1996 - 2019 | Brucebase

icon_facebook.png icon_twitter.png icon_flickr.png icon_youtube.png icon_google_plus.png
Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License