Michigan Theater, Detroit, MI

The Michigan Building is an office building and the former Michigan Theater (also known as Michigan Palace) in Detroit, Michigan, USA, currently used as a parking structure. It was built in August 1926 by the architectural firm of Rapp & Rapp for Detroit philanthropist and movie theater owner John H. Kunsky. The theater's construction cost $5 million (equivalent to $62 million in 2008). With a seating capacity of 4050, the concert hall/movie house was one of the largest in Michigan. Throughout the 1950s and 1960s, the theater changed ownership several times. It was subsequently used for various events: in the 1960s a closed-circuit television provided views of Red Wings ice hockey games for those who could not attend the actual event in nearby Olympia Stadium, and in the 1970s the theater was a nightclub and concert venue for rock bands. After this period of closures and re-openings, the Michigan Theater was permanently closed and partially demolished in 1976. Due to problems with the structural integrity of adjoining office buildings, the main hall and lobby were gutted and converted into a parking structure. Ironically, the Michigan Theater is built on the site of the small garage where Henry Ford built his first automobile (the garage was transported brick by brick to The Henry Ford Museum in nearby Dearborn).

Source: Wikipedia


Springsteen did 1 performances, excl. rehearsals, at this venue.


Disclaimer | © 1996 - 2024 | Brucebase

icon_facebook.png icon_twitterx.png icon_instagram.png icon_youtube.png
Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License